Creation… Fall… Redemption… Consummation. (Another one hour worship service from scratch)
On Sunday I led a group of student ministry leaders in worship for an hour. As in the time I described in this post, it was a one hour worship service from scratch. In other words, I was invited to plan and lead the hour of worship from start to finish. In my previous post I mentioned one way to give shape to what otherwise could be unstructured worship, using the A.C.T.S. acronym.
Here’s how I opted to structure the hour together with this same group this year. This is a version of the run sheet the worship musicians and I had before us.
Intro: Creation, Fall, Redemption, Consummation
- What it is: way of understanding the whole sweep of the Bible (explain each part briefly)
- Why it’s important: tells us God’s story—and our place in it. Situate selves at start of new year.
- We’ll weave between Scripture and Song and Prayer, standing and sitting, together and alone
- Scripture: Gen. 1:1,31, Col. 1:15-18
- Song: All Creatures of Our God and King
- Scripture/Prayer: Psalm 8, read in unison (scroll down to Ps. 8 at link)
- Song: Indescribable
- Prayer (standing): People thank God for what he has created, briefly, silently or aloud
- The sin at Eden. Separation from God, humans, land
- Scripture: Romans 3:23, 8:22
- Prayer (seated): Confession of Sin
- Song (standing or seated): Create in Me a Clean Heart
- Scripture in unison: Romans 5:8, John 3:16, Colossians 1:19-20
- Song (standing): Lead me to the Cross
- Redemption is ongoing… reconciliation is ongoing… even as we have been reconciled to God through the cross, we continue to see the need for reconciliation. So we pray…
- Song: We Will Run to You
- Scripture: Revelation 21:1-5
- And so our prayer, “Make all things new” is finally answered.
- Moment of silence to reflect on “I am making all things new.”
- Song (standing): Grace Like Rain
Conclusion: Close in prayer