John William Wevers LXX Text Histories… free .pdf downloads

December 10, 2013
Yes, this is free

Yes, this is free

File under: I can’t believe this is free.

From The International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies (IOSCS):

The Göttingen Septuaginta-Unternehmen, home of the Göttingen editions of the Septuagint, has announced two initiatives of interest to those dealing with textual criticism of the Septuagint.

Follow the link above to the Unternehmen’s home page. There’s a lot to check out there, including what I would consider the vacation/retreat of a lifetime. (Time with family tops everything, but this school would come in second.)

Back to the “free” part:

Several of the older volumes that have appeared in the series “Mitteilungen des Septuaginta-Unternehmens” are no longer available in print. To meet the wishes of the scholarly community to maintain access to these publications (among them, Rahlfs’ Verzeichnis), the Septuaginta-Unternehmen has published a free PDF scan of the first four volumes on its website.

These resources are available in the Septuaginta-Unternehmen’s new website, which is available in both German and English.

The link noted above (this one) includes, among other things, free downloads of the valuable and difficult to find Text History of the Greek… books by John William Wevers. You can download:

• Text History of the Greek Exodus (1992)
  • Text History of the Greek Leviticus (1986)
  • Text History of the Greek Numbers (1982)
  • Text History of the Greek Deuteronomy (1978)

They are large files, but I’m grateful to be able to have them.

1. December 10, 2013 10:56 pm

I’ve been looking everywhere for these. Thanks for the post!

• December 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Ha! Sure thing–glad it helped someone else, too.

• December 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Now it would be something to also see his “Notes on the Greek Text” books available similarly… though those are certainly worth paying for.

• December 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Free or not, I would like to add those to my library as well.

2. December 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Did you see elsewhere on their website several items by Rahlfs, also now available? :-)

3. December 11, 2013 2:54 pm

Hmm, their link appears to point to the wrong place, but the items they mention, as well as another by Lagarde, are here on their site: http://goo.gl/hA7hSO

• December 11, 2013 2:58 pm

I think I saw some of those, too–it is a nice service they are offering by making these freely available!

4. Ronnie Jawdi permalink
    January 22, 2014 10:05 pm

I just stumbled across this and I find this amazing! I was working on a paper several years ago and I was looking for the Text History of Greek Exodus at my previous University’s Library (I was at UofT). I was baffled when I could not find it considering Wever’s was previously a professor at my alma mater. I will definitely keep copies of these for future reference.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 683 other followers