The family bedtime rules

December 21, 2012

BedrailNot long ago we began instituting “the bedtime rules” for our two boys. The idea was to have a sequence of rules (steps, really) for the boys to follow once in bed that would provide consistency and direction each night. They were:

1. Put your head on your pillow.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Go to sleep.

Our 5-year-old added a couple, so now they read:

1. Put your head on your pillow.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Put your arms and your legs down.

4. Close your mouth.

5. Go to sleep.

Some nights, by the time I’m done with bedtime, I think the bedtime rules really just sound like:

1. Please stop talking.

2. Stop talking.

3. Stop talking right now.

4. Stop talking or I’m not going to sing to you anymore tonight.

5. SHHHH!!!!!

They will put themselves to sleep on their own eventually, right?

1. SKJ permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:07 pm

To be fair, they are at G & G’s house and not in their own beds and routines…

• December 21, 2012 10:09 pm

True. Though similar phenomena have also been observed at home….

2. SKJ permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Was that research published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal?

• December 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Yes. It was: Journal of the Society for the Preservation of the Study with Children of Bedtime Rituals, Routines, and Liturgies.

3. groffmr permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Developed for Micah when he moved to the big bed…
    1. No Talking
    1. No Playing
    1. No Getting Out of Bed
    and
    1. No Taking Things Off

• December 21, 2012 10:16 pm

LOL. I truly don’t think I could make it through fathering if I didn’t have a friend like you. Thank you for the sanity check.

4. SKJ permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Love that one.

5. groffmr permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:24 pm

This is therapeutic, but part of the Words on the Word ministry I love and need.

We had to add one later when he took a fancy with the curtains. Afraid he’d yank ’em down on himself or what not, we added a 1st: No Touching the Curtains. (Reviewing this now, it sounds very negative… My lifeguard training is ringing in my ears: “Always say ‘Walk’ rather than ‘Don’t Run.'”)

6. groffmr permalink
    December 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Also… I want to like your comments, but can’t. #WordpressProblems (or #FacebookAddict)

7. December 21, 2012 10:26 pm

If by ‘put themselves to bed’ you mean the close the door to their room, pretend to sleep buy instead browse ebay and email you
    suggestions’ until you block the website, then yes, yes they will…

• December 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Ha! Wow. Sounds like I have something to look forward to….

• December 22, 2012 1:36 am

And one more hint – beware of rules coming back to bite you. We used to have a rule ‘ no junk food before 10AM’ – simple hey. But somehow the rule got turned around on us. now at 10AM there are children at the door clamoring for their rightful ’10AM sweet’. I think I got done over with that one…..

8. December 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Rules 5 – 10 are quite similar, as are rules for a long car ride, and can be summed up thus: “why are you STILL TALKING?”

• December 22, 2012 7:13 am

indeed. If only a single summary rule would do it! 🙂

9. December 22, 2012 7:13 am

Drewe: 10AM sweet… sounds like breakfast!