Reading through the Greek of Isaiah in a year

November 18, 2012

Here is a well put together reading plan for going through the Greek (“Septuagint”) of Isaiah in a year. I like that, as blog author John Meade writes, “The key is working a little each day for many days.”

So this (PDF) is the plan I want to start using, beginning with the new year. (UPDATEThis is the plan we’ll use (PDF download), with slightly different versification than Meade’s plan.) And by “new year,” of course I mean when Advent begins (the start of the church calendar year), December 2.

If anyone wants to join me… let me know in the comments or by emailing me through this form.

UPDATE: Go here for a vocabulary list to aid reading in the LXX of Isaiah.

UPDATE 2: If you want to join along, here’s the central place on Facebook for discussion, helpful files, questions, companions, etc.

1. Ryan Groff permalink
    November 18, 2012 11:05 pm

I must commend you on your timing, either way. THIS is when one should start planning their new year, not on 12/31, when I usually consider it.

I love this call to thoughtful resoluting. (y) (y) < and you know what that is in FB land!🙂

Ryan

M. Ryan Groff | Center for Christian Studies (978) 867 4227 | 255 Grapevine Road, Wenham, MA 01984 ________________________________

2. November 19, 2012 8:14 am

i’m in

• November 19, 2012 9:27 am

Great! I’ll post more here in the future… and see if folks are up for some sort of online discussion.

3. November 19, 2012 11:03 am

I’m in.

4. November 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Well, my Greek is rusty, but I’m in.

5. December 1, 2012 10:23 am

I’m in. Don’t have Facebook, if there is any discussion is that where you see it happening?

6. December 1, 2012 3:26 pm

First time here, but may I make a suggestion? Why not use google drive where you can give permission for all of us to comment (you can restrict editing to just you) and than just export the document as a pdf or word doc, from which you can make your posts?

• December 1, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for stopping by, and for the comment! At this point I’m committed to the FB group, since we’ve got nearly 100 people, and commenting/posting has already begun (even before the official start date). I appreciate the idea, though, and will look into it more, especially as I consider how to best post a Greek text for folks to use.

7. December 1, 2012 10:18 pm

I just might give this one a try! (though I don’t have an LXX…)

• December 1, 2012 10:22 pm

Awesome! And I have you covered on not having an LXX. Working on a post now that will go up midnight EST with lots o’ links. (For now, find everything you likely will need here: http://www.bibelwissenschaft.de/nc/online-bibeln/septuaginta-lxx/lesen-im-bibeltext/bibelstelle/isaiah/anzeige/context/#iv)

• December 1, 2012 10:35 pm

Great Thanks! I have one one my BW program but don’t have a comp that I can put it on right now. I have this one I am using at the moment but it can’t handle BW right now. 😦 (no worries).

• December 1, 2012 10:44 pm

I am so sorry for your loss! 🙂 In all seriousness, I am perhaps a bit too dependent on Bible software these days….part of my discipline with this group is going to be to spend some time in the printed LXX text, with no vocabulary or parsing helps (at least at first).

• December 1, 2012 11:18 pm

i can understand that. i don’t own any interlinears for that same reason. just better to duke it out with the text right there. lol

• December 1, 2012 11:22 pm

🙂

8. Jordan Litchfield permalink
    December 2, 2012 10:06 am

I’m in.

9. jackie braswell permalink
    December 4, 2012 4:03 pm

I would like to give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

1. Vocabulary list for Greek Isaiah (via Accordance 10) | Words on the Word
  2. New Disciplines Coming on December 2, 2012 | TheoNerd
  3. Join us in reading through Greek Isaiah (LXX) in a year beginning tomorrow! | Near Emmaus